ORA is primarily intended for diagnosing reading strengths/weaknesses. It could be used in a reading class, a learning center, or as part of an institution’s placement process. An ORA score is given to each student immediately upon completion of the assessment. All data is stored for access by the test administrator.
The ORA is an inexpensive assessment of reading strengths/weaknesses for beginning (perhaps ending) of an instructional sequence that will improve the focus of the teaching. Storing and retrieving all data is made simple and convenient.
- Using context to determine the meaning of words and phrases;
- Finding main ideas and supporting details;
- Identifying a writer’s purpose;
- Analyzing the relationship among ideas;
- Evaluating a passage with critical reasoning skills;
- Applying study skills to a reading.