Overview of College Preparatory Writing
ENC 0020 College Preparatory Writing - A Short Course
This course is designed for students who have writing skills approaching acceptable levels for college work. The course is separated into two parts:
- Writing skills that can be verified in a multiple-choice test, and
- Essay skills.
A complete presentation of Writing Skills includes:
- Identifying Errors Involving Nouns, Pronouns, Verbs, Adjectives, and Adverbs
- Identifying Errors Involving Coordination, Subordination, Parallelism, Correlation, Negation, & Comparison
- Identifying Errors in Idiom & Word Choice
- Identifying Significant Errors in Punctuation and Capitalization
- Identifying Sentences That Meet Conventions of Standard English
- In the sections of writing skills instruction provided here, the student will find descriptions of the skills, numerous examples, and opportunities to verify abilities in a format common for online placement tests.
The Essay Skills portion of this course is designed for a student whose major or vocation choice requires the writing of an acceptable essay.
In this course, you will practice a five-step process for:
- creating ideas
- organizing the ideas for an essay
- writing a lead sentence for the first paragraph that states the main idea of the essay
- writing a lead sentence for each other paragraph
- writing the secondary sentences for each paragraph